- bring dry food, drinkable water or other refreshments along
- undertake the more demanding tracks in groups
- Don't forget to take your camera
- Look after the environment too, so other visitors can enjoy these natural beauties
The soutwestern coast of the island of Krk, precisely the eastern part of the shallow
Puntarska draga, separated from the Krk Bay by the Prniba peninsula, belongs to the
settlement and port of Punat. Today, it is one of the leading centres in Croatian
nautical tourism (Blue flag), famous also for its high quality olive oil products
(Olives Days are held each year in October). Punat (first mentioned in 1377) is proud
of its other values as well. The most important of these are the St. Trinity Church
(1777) and Maggiotto’s painting of St. Ivan’s sermon, on the main altar, the sculpture
of Ana Samotreća (15th century), the old houses for the common people (18th century),
the toš olive grinder (18th century) and the Toš Gallery. Special appeal to Punat
is also given by the Košljun islet, “island in the island”, a wood reserve and cultural
monument. Eight kilometres southeast of Punat, below the white limestone rocks and
protected from the «bura» wind, sits the quiet settlement of Stara Baška. Hikers
and recreationists are offered sphepherds’ tracks and seaside promenades, traced
in the ancient times and well marked today, as well as the Košljun islet, with its
many attractions.From Punat, paths climb up to the highest peaks of the island of
Krk: Veli vrh (541 m), Brestovica (558 m), Obzova (568 m), Zminj (537 m) and Veli
hlam (482 m). There are three starting points: Prgon, Ricompi and Zarimon; from Stara
Baška one for Punat and two for Batomalj in Bašćanska draga. It is also possible
to walk from one destination to the other without reaching the highest peaks of the
island. The difficulty of the paths ranges from medium to high because of the ascents,
particularly those in Stara Baška. At the starting points, tables have been set up,
containing information about the walk’s direction and expected duration. The paths
are well-marked with colours (red and white, blue and white, green and white) and
the marks have been set up each 20 to 50 metres. Directions are marked on large stones
on the crossroads. The Punat promenades extend on the part from Prgon to Kanajt,
and we recommend to proceed along the road, to the Old Croatian church of St. Dunat
(9th century) and from the centre of Punat through the Debilj cape to Camp Konobe.
Small by size (0,06 km2), and great in terms of offer, only a few metres above sea
level and only 190 metres away from the mainland, it is an area of luxuriant vegetation:
flowering ash (Fraxinus ornus), laurel (Laurus nobilis), holly oak (Quercus ilex),
montpellier maple (Acer monspessulanum). The Franciscan Berard Bari has managed to
count as many as 540 plant species and classify them in 111 families, found as much
as 151 mushroom species from 33 families. Various species of birds live in Košljun,
predominantly song-birds. At the same time, Košljun is a Franciscan monastery (1447)
that contains the famous library consisting of 30.000 volumes, incunabula, glagolithic
documents, valuable atlases (16th century). Once seat of the Croatian secondary school
(since 1894), today keeps an exceptionally rich range of works of art, music and
ethnographic collections, a beautiful crèche (16th century), the miraculous crucifix.
There are also several wooden chapels here: Chapel of Bethlehem (1651) St. Križ (1579),
St. Franjo (1654), the Lurdska spilja cave (1914)...
- Procure the map of the Shepherds’ path and of Punat
VRBNIK PATHS AND GORGES
In the central part of the eastern coast of the island of Krk, 49 m above the sea,
on the foundations of another Krk prehistoric fort, stands the town of Vrbnik. This
town, which has been exhibiting its steadiness for 900 years, is famous as a town-castle,
a town of farmers, shepherds, excellent wine-growers, confraternities, of the famous
library, old Slavic liturgies, priests and artists. Vrbnik will unveil its town streets,
offer its Karst surroundings full of the fragrances of aromatic plants and its fertile,
rich vineyards to the curious traveller. The Vrbnik Statutes square is the starting
point towards all directions – either towards the narrow street «all around» (okolo-naokolo)
the town or to isolated capes and sea bays, to vineyards or pasture grounds in the
hinterland. The target destination of the majority of routes are first of all historical-sacral
buildings preserved to a great extent in the town, while those in the surroundings
are mostly in a dilapidated state. The town streets lead to the parish church St.
Marija of Uznesenja (11th/ 12th century), the Church of St. John the Baptist (St.
Ivan Krstitelj), Baćin dvor, Frankopan buildings (16th century) today transformed
in a cafè gallery, to the stone sacral collection Destinac, to «Klančić», the narrowest
street in the world. They lead to the church of St. Marija od Zdravlja (1859) and
the Park Gospoj from which a marvellous view extends on the Vinodol channel and the
littoral. Outside the town, paths and passes head towards pasture grounds and vineyards.
In each new season, fragrances and colours of autochtonous plants translate in complete
and unspeakably pleasant sensations. Particularly worthy of mention is the month
of May, when the countryside is dappled with the purple of sage flowers.
TO THE CHURCH OF St. JURAJ
South of Vrbnik, on the cape of St. Juraj, in the homonymous bay, the remnants of
the small church dedicated to St. Juraj may be found. The image of St. Juraj as well
as the illustration of the vessel, the oldest preserved one on the Croatian coast
(12th/13th century) are discernible from the church walls.
TO THE CHURCH OF St. MARKO
In order to reach the ruins of the small church St. Marko (Marek) one should head
to the village of Risika, then turn right to the parish church and reach the homonymous
bay with the beach that is a favourite destination of many bathers. A peculiarity
here are the bushes of the evergreen strawberry tree (Arbutus unedo).
In order to reach the Krk princes’ ruins, one should pass along the fringes of Vrbničko
polje, to the village of Garica, and there enquire as to the onward route.
TOWN OF KRK
The ancient Curicum, Frankopan castle, seat of the diocese, numerous valuable monuments
of culture, the famous Krk summer fair, the secular tourist tradition, music and
other festivals and programmes, are part of the varied offering of the Town of Krk.
Recreation is offered in no smaller diversity and extent. Walks are arranged towards
the old part of the town, the promenade along the coast, but also to the Prnib peninsula
and to the town’s wider surroundings. We single out: Easy walks along the Prniba
peninsula (surface area: 1.5 km2) southeast of the town, for a length of 7.5 km,
in the pine trees, holly trees and underbrush to the bays of St. Mikula, Valunt and
St. Danijel. Particularly impressive is the isolated small church of St. Krševan,
an exceptional architectural gem in the preserved Krk environment, today a pasture
ground, relatively far from the inhabited places.
Required time: one hour and 30 minutes
- path Krk - Lamartin - Krk
- path Krk - Sv. Juraj - Krk
- path Linardići – St. Krševan church
- path to the Čavlena bay (to the highest oak trees on the island)
the paths’ length is from 8 to 10 km on average, and the expected walking time is
approximately three hours.
Procure the prospectus Prniba Promenade
IN THE DOBRINJ AREA
The Dobrinj area is a spacious, mildly undulated green area on the northeastern part
of the island of Krk occupied by the villages: Či ići, Dobrinj, Gabonjin, Gostinjac,
Gornja and Donja Hlapa, Klanice, Klimno, Kras, Meline, Polje, Rasopasno, Rudine,
Soline, Su an, Sv. Ivan, Sv. Vid, Šilo, Tribulje, etilac, Županje and the town of
Dobrinj, the oldest Croatian town on the island of Krk, cultural and administrative
centre of the entire area.
The area of Dobrinj is an autochtonous, rural landscape, with ethnological heritage,
preserved environment, varied plant communities, underground Karst phenomena (Biserujka
cave), protected bays with curative mud and a pleasant climate. In this area, some
sixty kilometres of sandy paths have been marked. Their course is circular. The departure
point is also the point of arrival. It may be passed in one day, or, in an easier
way – as one prefers – from one point to the other. There are eight marked points
(Šilo, estilac, Gostinjac, Sveti Vid, Dobrinj, Gornja Hlapa, upanje, Šilo), with
different tour lengths. In each control point, a photograph should be taken or a
stamp affixed. The award for the traversed path is the numerated badge and the opportunity
to register in the Visitors’ Book.
Along these fifty kilometres we shall pass through protected sea bays, the Stipanjska
Bay, the gentle, shallow Soline Bay, stop near the ruins of the Roman villa in Šilo,
near the churches of St. Marija of Porođenja in Polje (1876), St. Martin in Gostinjac
(1576), the early romanic St. Vid (1100, endownment of the “famous Dragoslav”), St.
Klement in Klimno (1381, the Renaissance carving, St. Filip and Jakov in Soline (1382),
the Dobrinj parish church of St. Stjepan (1100), St. Trinity (1480, pučki St. Antuna)
along the park Jardin... The Dobrinj path will lead us to Polje, to the nuns’ monastery
and the nursing home in the beautiful locality of Zviranj, to valuable sacral and
ethnological collections, to the belvederes “Zemljine” in the vicinity of the Dobrinj
marketplace and the bell-tower from which the bell ringing reverberates through the
entire area of Dobrinj and beyond, then to the mythical hill of St. Juraj (327 m).
The paths lead through a wood covered by unique wood vegetation. Here grows the durmast
oak-tree (Quercus petraea), hop hornbeam (Carpinus betulus), sweet chestnut trees(Castanea
sativa), lime trees (Tilia cordata), sycamore (Acer pseudopatanus)... all species
growing in the mountain woods of the mainland, but on no other Adriatic island –
except for Krk. Duration:
- Šilo – Žestilac one hour and 30 minutes
- Žestilac - Gostinjac 30 minutes
- Gostinjac - Sv. Vid 40 minutes
- Sv. Vid - Dobrinj 10 minutes
- Dobrinj - Gornja Hlapa 40 minutes
- Gornja Hlapa – upanje 35 minutes
- Županje – Šilo one hour
THE GLAGOLYTHIC PATH
The small St. Petar’s Church (1279) on the western part of the island of Krk, endowment
of two sisters according to the legend, may be reached from the village of Gabonjin
via a path along which 37 stone plates have been recently placed, with engraved messages
and a glagolythic alphabet. The church dominates the landscape and represents a secular
orientation point but also a guard house (hence the name St. Petar na Stra išu (252
m), (stra a=guard). It is worth climbing St. Petar, particularly on St. Peter’s Day
(29th of June) when, in the area in front of the church, celebrations are held.
- Gabonjin - Sv Petar 20 minutes
- Ljutići - Sv. Petar one hour and 25 minutes
- Rasopasno - Sv. Petar 45 minutes
Procure the guidebook «Putovima Dobrinjštine»
TRACKS OF OMIŠALJ AND NJIVICE
In the northwestern part of the island of Krk, on the Vela sten hill, 82 metres above
the Omišalj Bay, stands the town of Omišalj. The story of its civilization dates
back to prehistoric times. The major settlements that were built up in the area of
Omišalj and Njivice developed their fishermen roots into a significant tourist activity.
In terms of parochial, territorial-administrative, and today also tourist-organization,
Omišalj and Njivice represent a single entity. Walking is possible in three directions
that lead to historical monuments, to the Krk natural wood landscapes and the relaxing
promenades along the seaside (lungomare).
From Omišalj, one shoud head by foot to the southwest towards the Sepen bay, the
first-class archeological locality Fulfinum-Mirine. The toponym Podokladi hides the
remnants of the ancient town Fulfinum (1st century), built for the Roman military
veterans. This was a town with complete urban facilities (forum, basilica, port installations,
spa, acquaduct, etc.). A great part of this space is still undiscovered and unexplored.
To the east of the site, on the toponym Mirina, walls, remnants of the big early
Christian basilica from the end of the 5th or the beginning of the 6th century are
visible. The building is also mentioned as the Benedictine monastery St. Nikola that
was abandoned in the 15th century.
Procure the prospectus Fulfinum - Mirine and the map of the hiking tracks
NJIVICE HIKING TRACKS
From the Njivice motorcamp there are marked hiking tracks directly towards the Cerova
hills (58m), Veli vrh (69m), Vršek (52m) and the Dražica, Dumboka and Blatna bays.
They are divided into three types: the main and circular path and paths towards the
sea (branch roads from the main track), for less demanding walks.
main track 2 hours
circular track 45 minutes
tracks to the sea 20 minutes
Procure the map of hiking tracks in Njivice
PROMENADES ALONG THE SEASIDE
Traced along the sea coast, along the settlements’ quays, their origin lies in tourism.
Those in Njivice, in particular, lead to some restaurants with excellent gastronomic
offerings. In Njivice this is the direction from the motor camp to the Kijac Bay.
It is linked to the hiking track for Malinska. In Omišalj this is the route from
hotel Adriatic to the Pesja bay.
Promenade through the park Dubec, Omišalj
With a length of 995 m and a surface area of 18 km2 extends a park area full of paths,
resting places, belvederes and varied vegetation. Time required: 15 minutes
- lungomare Njivice: 45 minutes
- lungomare Omišalj: 20 minutes
- promenade Dubec: 15 minutes
Procure the map of Njivice and Omišalj
TOURIST TRACKS OF BAŠKA AND ITS SURROUNDINGS
On the southeastern part of the island of Krk, in the northern part of Baška draga,
lies the place and the port of Baška. Owing to its location, the long beach and its
valuable heritage, Baška is a place of extraordinary appeal. Here, with the assistance
of Czech tourist guides Vaclav Tupy, the existing paths were developed and marked
as tourist tracks, among the first ones in Kvarner. The total of 16 marked tracks,
85 km long, has been classified in four categories: non-demanding, demanding, semi-demanding
and very demanding. The tracks’ difficulty depends on the type of ground, the difficulty
of the ascent and other factors. Nondemanding tracks extend for a length of 2 to
3.5 km and may be passed in approximately one hour and twenty minutes, while the
very demanding ones in some localities - though shorter, will require a longer walking
time. The 16 marked tracks offer the possibility to visit the most important places
and localities of Bašćanska draga (Batomalj, Jurandvor, Draga Bašćanska) and monuments
of exceptional historical value such as the church of St. Lucy (Sv. Lucije) (11th
century) in which the best known epigraphical monument of Croatian literature - Bašćanska
ploča is kept (the Baška stone tablet). Bašćanska ploča dates back to the year 1100
and the church of St. Mary Majke Božje na Gorici (15th century), the biggest sanctuary
in the Krk diocese, is also located here.
Some tracks end in the picturesque sea bays that give the possibility of pleasant
bathing, others reach belvederes offering exceptional views (Bag, 185 m, Zakam, 194
m, Stražice, 372 m, Veliki Hlam, 484 m). The more demanding ones lead, either through
climbs or steep descents, to the Vinodol Channel and offer a view on the town of
Senj, or on the other side, of Kvarnerić, Stara Baška. Return to the point of departure
is also possible by taxi boat. Two of these tracks lead to the highest
peak of the island of Krk. We recommend the track no. 7, called “Way to the Moon”
MOUNTAIN TRACKS ON OBZOV
The highest peak on the island of Krk, Obzov (569m), the sixth peak by height on
the Croatian islands, may be reached from several points of departure. Obzova is
a hillock on the big Karst plateau that the millenial presence of the «bura» wind
stripped bare and presented with many cracks and with only a few round meadows, fenced
by drywalls. The view from the top is something that really has to be experienced.
The most frequent points of departure are Treskavac (Malmašuta) or Draga Bašćanska
(possible departures also from Stara Baška and Punat). Climbs should not be undertaken
during the scorching summer heat.
Dubašnica is a spacious, verdant, fertile and wooded area opening onto the Rijeka
Bay. Its name originates from the oak woods (dub = oak tree), that are also complemented
by woods of oriental hornbeam. At the beginning of the 15th century, this area was
inhabited by many families whose names have been inherited by the current settlements
of Vantačići, Turčići, Zidarići, Milčetići, Milovčići, Bogovići, Radići, Maršići,
Kremenići, gombići, Oštrobradići, Ljutići, Barušići... In the tourism-development
period (at the end of the 19th century) Malinska - a port for timber loading and
unloading was transformed in the principal centre of the Dubašnica area and almost
ousted the name Dubašnica from geographical and other terms. The search of new «contents»
began to be felt in the area. The Dubašnica tracks are full of agricultural traces,
one can still hear the almost forgotten bleating of flocks of sheep and be a witness
to the visible and recognizable ethnic and religious identity here. According to
their level of difficulty, the tracks are classified into those stretching along
the seaside and those that stretch around the hinterland.
Malinska - cape Čuf 45 minutes
Malinska – Vantačići 45 minutes
Porat - Sv. Martin 1 hour and 25 minutes
PROMENADES ALONG THE SEASIDE
The coastal path Rajska cesta (Road of Paradise) is the best known promenade, traced
towards the coast and the bathing resorts Haludovo and Njivice even before World
War II. It is intended for all types of hikers, and besides wood landscapes, it also
stretches along the numerous bays and beaches. The second one connects Malinska and
Vantačići and leads to Porat, 3 km away, and to the monastic church of St. Marija
Magdalena of the Tertiary Franciscans (Glagolitic priests) (15th century). The valuable
polyptych (1556), olive grinder, museum and collection of stone monuments «lapidarij»
with copies of the oldest Croatian glagolitic inscriptions are kept in the monastery.
The path along the seaside from Porat to the Bay of St. Martin is somewhat more demanding,
since it also comprises less accessible terrain, offering in return preserved nature
sights and a very impressive view of the sea.
These are easy and non-demanding paths that intersect the area of Dubašnica connecting
the villages, the so called «drmuni» and votive localities. They stretch from the
hills, belvedere Fumak (61 m) overlooking the Čavlena Bay t o the orientation point
of the Northern part of Krk, the Church of St. Peter (252 m), above Gabonjin in the
Dobrinj area, up to the church and settlement St. Vid - Miholjice. The paths on the
map have been marked in yellow and they touch the picturesque old graveyard, adjacent
to which until 1855 stood the parish church (later on it was transferred to Bogovići),
a trace of which is the mighty stone bell tower (1618), the votive crucifix and the
stone Way of the Cross on the hill Fumak and the one on the crossroads Bogovići-
St. Anton - Milovčići, pass along the votive chapel of St. Ivan de Mathe (Matahara)
in the vicinity of Oštrobradić, built with the support of Dubašnica emigrants to
America and to the famous small church of St. Petar na Verhu.
- Fumak – old cemetery one hour and 25 minutes
- Old cemetery - Oštrobradići one hour and 15 minutes
- Oštrobradići - Sv.Petar one hour and 25 minutes
- Sv. Petar- Sv. Vid - Miholjice one hour and 35 minutes
Procure the prospectus of Malinska promenades and hiking paths.