The city of Krk was already mentioned by Homer in his famous poem under the
name of Koureto, and many researchers connect this name with the inhabitants of the
island of Krk. The city is dominated by the cathedral complex, although it is not
located on a hill.
Krk’s cathedral is, along with the Frankopan family castle, the most famous city
motif. In the 5th century the basilica, from the early Christian period, was situated
on the location of the Roman thermae. During the following years, the cathedral experienced
a variety of styles: romanic, gothic, renaissance, baroque and modern style. It was
mentioned for the first time in written documents in 1186, and was dedicated to the
Assumption of Mary.
The castle was built gradually from a number of elements. Today it is a square building,
27 m long and 17 m wide, whilst the height of its perimeter walls is 9 m. On the
northern part, towards the Kamplin the circle tower is situated. On the western corner
is the square Frankopan courtroom, on the eastern part, towards the sea, is the square
tower, and on the western side is the observatory.
In fact, Christianity came into the city in an early period, which is proved by the
Iliric epitaphs. The old city centre is reachable through the four doors, and out
of the city walls, the city was only developed more intensely over the last few centuries.
The city walls with their doors had already been erected in the pre Roman period
and have remained in the same place until today, even though they have been reconstructed
many times, they have always established the interior city arrangement.
We can already see traces of catering from the early Middle Ages in the city of Krk,
and its first guests were Czechs. From that period until today Krk has become, with
the number of its hotels and camp-sites, a very strong centre even at wider European
levels. The city of Krk is today the administrative, political, economic and religious
centre of the island of Krk.
Omišalj is a village in the bay of Rijeka, which can be seen from all the parts of
the city. Situated at 85 metres above sea level, on the north-western part of the
island of Krk, it dominates the almost three kilometre-long bay. This kind of privilege
was particularly interesting even for its prehistoric inhabitants, as Omišalj has
existed for more that 10 thousand years.
On the opposite side of the Ert peninsula, which from the south-western part surrounds
the bay, the Fulfinium, together with the Kurikum (Krk) which was then the second
most important island settlement which were most probably erected during Roman times;
Legend has it that it disappeared during the period of the fall of the Roman Empire
in the 5th century or some time later. Omišalj itself was mentioned for the first
time in 1153. Today, as one of the oldest towns on the island, Omišalj is an important
glagolitic and cultural centre.
The winding rocky streets of the old city centre and the compact line of houses,
conserve a valuable cultural and historical heritage. A good start for getting to
know Omišalj's heritage is certainly the local Lapidarij, a small collection of rock
monuments which provide visitors with a thorough access to Omišalj’s history.
Apart from its cultural and historical heritage, part of the offer is given by the
hotels, guest houses, campsites, private accommodation together with the restaurants
and taverns with their rich gastronomical offer.
A conserved old tradition and an important celebration is held on the eve of the
catholic holiday of the Assumption of Mary “Stomorina” – a dance between young men
and women who raise a flag with a crown on the top on the town square.
Njivice is located close to Omišalj and has always been part of the Omišalj castle,
and today it belongs to the Municipality of Omišalj. The town has probably been inhabited
since ancient times. It was mentioned for the first time in written sources in 1474.
in Prince Ivan Frankopan the VII’s deed of donation.
Over the last few centuries it was a small village on Krk, whose inhabitants were
mainly fishermen, olive grove workers or cattle-breeders or they worked in the forests.
The houses situated close to the seashore, the small boats and the fishermen's nets
as well as the cases full of fish, have for centuries been a recognizable photograph
Njivice is today a tourist centre with modern accommodation capacities amongst which
dominate the hotels and camp-sites located in the shade.
This tourist and fine food resort is today the most recent parish on the island.
Not far away from Njivice, is a lake, one of the two on the island, which was once
an area for fishing, but which for a number of decades has been set up as a fresh
Malinska, an area on the island of Krk which did not have a settled, castle centre.
The whole area is known as Dubašnica and is located in the western part of the island.
At the same time, it is the only part of the island of Krk for which we know the
exact period it was inhabited.
In fact, Dubašnica and its southern part, almost to the city of Krk was almost without
permanent settlers until the 15th century. The area's name comes from the name of
an oak tree, and there are dense forests and pastures located here together with
some cultivated land. Even before the 12th century Dubašnica was mainly part of the
area of Omišalj, although part of it was under the rule of the city of Krk.
Malinska, as the centre of Dubašnica, was once an island port for the export of wood,
and a favourite tourist destination for the Viennese aristocracy. In the 15th century
it was mentioned as an anchorage point where boats sheltered during the period of
strong winds, especially the strong jugo wind. When the first steamship arrived in
Malinska in 1866, the port for the export of wood became a climatic healing point
thanks to its mild climate with around 260 days of sun per year. Today it is considered
one of the most famous tourist destinations on the island, thanks to its beaches
and hotel industry and because of its family tourism.
Close to Malinska is Porat, a quiet village whose inhabitants once lived from fishing,
which today has been taken over by tourism as a main source of income. The name of
the village comes from the Italian word porto which means port.
The third order Glagolitic Franciscan Monastery can be found in Porto. The Monastery
consists of a museum with a sacral collection and valuable items, evidence of popular
life and tradition of this area. Close to the already mentioned Monastery is the
St. Mary Magdalene Church.
Punat, located on the east coast of the more than 3 km long and 2 km wide Punat valley,
is considered one of Krk’s more recent villages. However, this belief is connected
to the fact that studies and more detailed reports regarding this area only began
around a hundred years ago. Earlier it was part of the city of Krk, and the area
of Vrbnik almost reached the village of Punat.
However the inhabitants have been settled here continuously since prehistoric times.
Traces of settlement date back in prehistory through the Iliric tribes, the Greeks
and the Romans. According to legend, during the Roman period a bridge passed through
the narrow entrance to the Punat valley heading to the city of Krk. Supposedly, according
to a variety of records, inhabitants from the Punat area were more precisely settled
by the Krk noblemen, in order to protect the approach to the bridge and to the Punat
During the historical events on this area, Punat has shared the other villages’ destiny,
and besides farming and cattle breeding, the inhabitants were, occupied with fishing
and ship building, and the Austro-Croatian steamship society was founded here in
1906 whose first steam ship, the Frankopan, maintained the route from the village
to the mainland.
Today Punat is one of the largest nautical centres in Croatia, and it is also the
island's olive-growing centre. To talk about Punat, and not to mention the small
island of Košljun, is unimaginable. Punat and Košljun have being connected for centuries,
the lives of the Franciscan friars and the people from Punat are mutually intertwined.
So every visitor is sure to want to visit the island of Košljun which is served by
“barkajoli” that continuously travel the 10 minutes journey from Punat to Košljun
and back again. Although the distance from Punat is only 750 meters and it has been
connected to it for centuries, the island of Košljun belongs to the city of Krk according
to the cadastral map. The size of the small island with its rich vegetation is slightly
larger than a 1000 meters, its surface is 68 square metres, and its highest point
is located 6 metres above sea level. On this relatively small surface 540 plant and
mushroom species (almost half of those registered in whole of Great Britain) are
registered here. The Franciscan Monastery is located on the island of Košljun where
the friars, over the centuries, have conserved a number of values.
Vrbnik is undoubtedly one of the most famous Croatian villages. It became famous
thanks to its Glagolitic heritage and famous popular song with its special melody
and content which is played and arranged in variety of performances and is called
“Vrbniče nad morem” (Vrbnik above the sea).
As with the other castles on the island, Vrbnik too is, situated high up, at almost
50 metres and on truly special place, on a cliff that literally dives into the sea.
With Šilo, located in the area of Dobrinj, it is the only large village on the east
coast of the island of Krk. It was first mentioned in 1100. The inhabitants were
mainly farmers, then navigators and fishermen.
Today the most important product of Vrbnik's fields and of Vrbnik in general, is
its golden yellow wine - the Žlahtina; which has become famous even in wider Croatian
According to stories told by the old people of Vrbnik, before the wine became famous,
the fields were cultivated with cereals in order to feed the local families that
were larger than those today. In such conditions the grapevine was cultivated on
the edge of the fields as the wine market did not yet exist and wine was only produced
for personal needs.
Vrbnik is still principally an excursionist village, which is a kind of advantage,
even though it provides accommodation in the rooms and apartments of private houses
as well as in a number of hotels.
With its rich history, Vrbnik is known as the cradle of Croatian literacy and it
is surely one of the oldest villages on the island of Krk. Narrow streets prevail
in Vrbnik, so it is not strange that the world's narrowest street should be located
The Municipality of Dobrinj is located on the eastern part of the island of Krk with
the analogue centre. Dobrinj is located on a 200 metre-high hill and is one of the
medieval castles, which in the past was a centre of literacy.
The special value of this beautiful village is the cognition that Saint Stephen's
parish church had already been mentioned as early as the 12th century. Regarding
Dobrinj as a former Glagolitic centre testimony the series of documents and Glagolitic
The area of Dobrinj was for centuries an extremely agricultural area. The people
were occupied in cattle breeding and olive cultivation as well as in managing the
wealth of the forest. The village is famous for its picturesque traditional costumes,
its folklore events, the sopele school (Krk’s wind instrument) and the traditional
home-made cuisine. In this island’s centre autochthonous rocky houses and narrow
rocky streets that breathe days gone by prevail.
Close to Dobrinj is the Biserujka cave which astonishes with its beauty and curiosity
of its sediment shapes. It is the only cave on the island, among more than 50, that
is organised for the reception of visitors. According to legend, the Biserjuka cave
(biser-jewel) received its name from the treasure that was found in it, which belonged
to the local pirates.
Šilo is tourist village located on the north-eastern part of the island, in front
of the Crikvenica Riviera (26 km from the Krk bridge). Although Šilo today is the
tourist centre of the area of Dobrinj, it used to be a fishermen’s and seamen’s village.
From Šilo to Crikvenica the first ferry to the Croatian part of the Adriatic navigated.
Šilo celebrates its national day on the 16th of August, on the Day of Saint Roch,
which is a tradition that began in the middle of the 19th century, when this area
was affected by the plague. People from Šilo, as well as other people, begged Saint
Roch to spare them from the plague and from this custom came the processions from
the fields to the Church of Saint Nicholas in Šilo.
There are no hotels in Šilo. It is possible to find accommodation in rooms and apartments
of private houses or on the camp-site.
With organised local beaches (pebble and partly concrete), there are numerous recreational
events. The Blue flag flies proudly over the sandy Pećine beach, which is suitable
for children. A special attraction is represented by a visit to the wrecked Greek
ship Peltastis which is located near Šilo and this is precisely the place where the
island’s diving clubs take divers.
Klimno is situated on the eastern part of the island, just 10 minutes drive from
Krk bridge. With its old tourist tradition it is famous for its rich catering offer
in the restaurants that offer seafood and other specialities with the mandatory autochthonous
wine, apartments and private villas. The Klimno bay includes the villages Klimno,
Soline and Čižići.
Soline is famous for its salt pans which date back to the pre Roman period, and today
for its more notable tourist offer in private accommodation. The locality of Meline,
famous for its healing mud, is situated between Soline and Čižići. The above mentioned
mud is used for healing gout, so much so that many people, satisfied by its healing
properties, happily return here. Čižići is the village which on one side has been
reclaimed by the sea, whilst on the other the rich green areas prevail.
Klimno is the largest village in the bay and one of the oldest in the area. This
is proved by the existence of the small chapel of Saint Clement which dates back
to 1381 with its Glagolitic inscription. Sea and nautical tourism lovers will feel
comfortable in Klimno with its many offers for navigators as it provides boat anchorage
as well as workshops for making and repairing vessels.